ClubEG6™ - EG & EH Civic Hatchback Forum. A friendly forum for the 1992-1995 5th Generation Civic Hatchback enthusiasts. • ClubEG6™ StickersClubEG6™ Lanyards
Bookmark & Share

my k20hatch reincarnation!

5th Gen 1992 USDM, JDM, and EDM Honda Civic Hatchbacks

Moderators: ventturei26, eg6kat, vxhybrid, junior40er, Shogun, EH_knight

my k20hatch reincarnation!

Postby dailyK20hatch » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:54 pm

Once upon a time there was a hatch.........

It wasnt flashy or eye catching, but simple and tastefully done. The only thing that set this car apart was its heart, a k20, swapped and running since late 2006. Yes 2006, making it one of the first non shop or garage'd owned k swap civic in my town. It was both my daily and my weekend car.

I had fun with it, and it never let me down. From starting every single day without a hiccup to demolishing the silverado guys at the track every weekend (my town is filled with those guys) the hatch never missed a beat. But little did i know that the fun times were coming to an end..........the day was july 14th, 2009 when IT happened.............

A guy in a big SUV thought he was king of the road.........my hatch was no match, but even in its last moments in didnt let me down, as bad as the crash was i walked away........but not just walked, i did it without even a scratch on me. So as i watched the tow truck take my car away, i realise that i didnt just lose my car but i lost a companion.

The events of that day replayed in my mind for the next couple days, till i realised that i cant let it end like this. The very next day i located the impound that had my car and paid a tow truck to deliver it to my house. I was once again reunited with my companion. I inspect the damage.....and to my surprise the engine had survived any major damage other than a cracked transmission casing.

So first things first, my companion needed to be resurrected so no beat up shell would do. I searched and searched but no luck, within this time frame i had slowly stripped down the original shell, the only thing left in it was the engine, exhaust and rear suspension. So after months of searching i found a body that was worthy.....

the body was imaculate, no rust or body work present, it was just what i was looking for.

and this is where the story starts.........stay tuned....
dailyK20hatch
Stage 2 ClubEG6 Member
Stage 2 ClubEG6 Member

Re: my k20hatch reincarnation!

Postby K20eg » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:23 am

Damn you KO'd that last hatch lol. New one looks good. What K are you going to go with?
Bottle fed 93 K20A hatch
✫ Hella-Funtional ✫
K20eg
Stage 3 ClubEG6 Member
Stage 3 ClubEG6 Member

Car: 93 Honda Civic DX hatch

Postby RaCon93 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:52 am

By the looks of it you was lucky to walk away from that. Damn :eek:
RaCon93
Stage 3 ClubEG6 Member
Stage 3 ClubEG6 Member

Car: 1993 civic hatchback cx

Postby SlizzaEG » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:20 pm

I'd cry, for months if that happend to my baby with a k20 hahaha. Very glad you got another cleaaaan ride man, very impressed!
Got JDM?
SlizzaEG
Stage 2 ClubEG6 Member
Stage 2 ClubEG6 Member

Car: 94 EG Hatchback

Postby dailyK20hatch » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:56 pm

K20eg wrote:Damn you KO'd that last hatch lol. New one looks good. What K are you going to go with?

KO'd is right, the k20a2 survived the accident so im going to use it again, but before it goes into the new shell it will be completely taken apart and inspected for damage, then upgraded with some aftermarket parts :thumbup:
dailyK20hatch
Stage 2 ClubEG6 Member
Stage 2 ClubEG6 Member

Postby dailyK20hatch » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:01 pm

RaCon93 wrote:By the looks of it you was lucky to walk away from that. Damn :eek:

i was lucky for sure, i can honestly say that the seat belt saved my life.

@ slizza- if there wasnt a crowd watching me after the accident, maybe i would have been, lol.
dailyK20hatch
Stage 2 ClubEG6 Member
Stage 2 ClubEG6 Member

Postby dailyK20hatch » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:21 pm

I bougth the new hatch as just a shell, so it didnt come with the cf hood, bys lip or the wheels but that was fine with me, not only did it lower the price but i wanted built this hatch from scratch, using as many parts from my old hatch as i could.

these are a sample of the wheels i had on the old hatch.

3 of them were still in great condition, the front driver side wheel was useless. So i ordered me one to complete the set. I always wanted these wheels in black, O.Z. makes them in black but only 17" and up not in a 15" which is what i have. So i sent them to a friend of mine that does powder coating, and this is what i got back. Sorry for all the finger prints on it, i had just finished drooling over it.....

thats today's update..............
dailyK20hatch
Stage 2 ClubEG6 Member
Stage 2 ClubEG6 Member

Postby dailyK20hatch » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:57 pm

i received my tires for my wheels...........

i also sent out a extra valve cover that i had salvaged from a junk yard with the wheels to get powder coated to match.

while at the junk yard, i came across this.........

i couldn't pass it up, my friend has an s2k cluster in his eg hatch and it a nice touch, wires up so good that even when you open the rear hatch the open trunk car emblem lights up on the cluster, lol.

thats today's update...........
dailyK20hatch
Stage 2 ClubEG6 Member
Stage 2 ClubEG6 Member

Postby K20eg » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:55 am

S2k cluster at a junkyard is a good find!! :thumbup:
Bottle fed 93 K20A hatch
✫ Hella-Funtional ✫
K20eg
Stage 3 ClubEG6 Member
Stage 3 ClubEG6 Member

Postby dailyK20hatch » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:54 pm

found me some used DC5 ITR pistons for my k, they are going to give me a small bump in compression and i got them for cheap.............

i just had to clean them up a bit, :thumbup: they dont have that many miles on them because they were fairly easy to clean and the teflon on the side of the pistons didnt have any wear marks at all.

In other news, the new hatch may take a trip the my friends paint shop next week.........
dailyK20hatch
Stage 2 ClubEG6 Member
Stage 2 ClubEG6 Member

Postby dailyK20hatch » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:14 pm

So today i decided to get this engine out, the bented up frame and glass everywhere made everything slightly more difficult but over all it came out pretty smoothly.............

the only damage i can see at the moment is a cracked transmission casing, but who knows what else ill find once i start taking the engine apart. Heres a pic of the bay after the engine came out.

and since i was already here, i decided to take the whole exhaust system out.

the header is a dc sports swap header that i will be upgrading, and the exhaust is a apexi ws noir? i think? and im going to install it on the new hatch.

I have been talking with my friend the painter, and it seems like he's going to hook it up with a paint job, i already have the perfect color in mind...............
dailyK20hatch
Stage 2 ClubEG6 Member
Stage 2 ClubEG6 Member

Postby dailyK20hatch » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:54 pm

So the engine is out and needs to be taken apart.............so i needed something to have the block on for the time being, i went and got me this cheap engine stand from harbor freight.

I put it together and got to work on the tear down......

almost instantly i found more bad news, all the sensors on my throttle body were damage due to the accident and also it seems like a rat or mice got into the engine bay and went to town on my engine harness, they ate all the red wires they could find, red=food coloring, food coloring= sugar and that what they went for, so pretty much i need a new engine harness, the damage was too much for me to try and fix. :cry:

next the tranny came off

other than the crack in the casing, everything else seemed ok, it still went into all of its gears but it will be opened up and inspected when i get a new case and lsd and final drive that i want. :thumbup:

keeped on working on it.......

well we finish taking it apart.........

and the engine stand did its job

well last week i had posted that the hatch was going to get a new paint job, so i dropped it off at my friends shop, he does phenominal work and is a perfectionist so i knew that i left it in good hands..........

pic of the interior when i dropped it off

so thats all for right now, i have ordered many parts for the build, some i have received some parts already, others are still on the way and some are on back order, ill post an update when i have a couple more parts come in.
dailyK20hatch
Stage 2 ClubEG6 Member
Stage 2 ClubEG6 Member

Postby dailyK20hatch » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:46 pm

engine bay will be painted first...............

that is all....................
dailyK20hatch
Stage 2 ClubEG6 Member
Stage 2 ClubEG6 Member

Postby dailyK20hatch » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:14 pm

dailyK20hatch
Stage 2 ClubEG6 Member
Stage 2 ClubEG6 Member

Postby dailyK20hatch » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:53 pm

so the car is ready for paint..........

yup the car is ready to get sprayed, but the bumper are already done so heres a sneek peek.........

more coming soon.........
dailyK20hatch
Stage 2 ClubEG6 Member
Stage 2 ClubEG6 Member

Postby dailyK20hatch » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:29 pm

i cant be any happier with the color :D

i remove the rear quaters from my old hatch, the seals and glass itself where in way better condition so they are going to go on the new eg.

just need to clean them up a bit, ill keep yall posted.
dailyK20hatch
Stage 2 ClubEG6 Member
Stage 2 ClubEG6 Member

Postby K20eg » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:45 pm

Looking good sir! What color is that?
Bottle fed 93 K20A hatch
✫ Hella-Funtional ✫
K20eg
Stage 3 ClubEG6 Member
Stage 3 ClubEG6 Member

Postby RROSSI » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:32 am

Love that colour!!

More pics please :)

RR
RROSSI
Stage 2 ClubEG6 Member
Stage 2 ClubEG6 Member

Car: EG5 Civic & ED9 Crx

Postby dailyK20hatch » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:11 pm

i will have more pics once i put the fenders, bumpers, ect. back on.

As for the paint, its actually a lambo color.............

telesto greis, i think thats the name of it, it was a major pain trying to get the paint code from the local lambo dealer, this color is only a few years old so i couldnt find the paint code through google or any search engines, but the dealer eventually gave it up since my painter had actually worked on a lambo before. They even made him sign a contract that said he wouldn't share the paint code with anyone :list: lol..........

We did tweek it thought, we added a very very small amount of green pearl to it, it is undetectable unless its hit directly with sun light.
dailyK20hatch
Stage 2 ClubEG6 Member
Stage 2 ClubEG6 Member

Postby K20eg » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:17 pm

Hell yeah, thats a badass color!
Bottle fed 93 K20A hatch
✫ Hella-Funtional ✫
K20eg
Stage 3 ClubEG6 Member
Stage 3 ClubEG6 Member

Postby dailyK20hatch » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:37 pm

Well the car is back home now, completely painted and under a car cover. I will start putting it back together slowly, that way i will give myself time to find the right parts i want. i have stripped my old hatch completely and i have a room full of parts ready to be put in the new one.

Im going to take my time and do it right the first time, I have given myself a deadline, which is set at the end of september, by that time i will have had enough time to collect the parts i really want, plus im planning on participating in Import Face Off which will be in my town mid october. stay tuned........
dailyK20hatch
Stage 2 ClubEG6 Member
Stage 2 ClubEG6 Member

Postby ptgraphix » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:56 pm

I'm looking forward to the end result. Looks like it all will be worth the wait, gotta love doing things right the first time :D
ptgraphix
ClubEG6 Admin
ClubEG6 Admin

Car: 1993 CX
Motor: Built B18C1 with typeR tranny

Postby dailyK20hatch » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:10 pm

thanks ^^^^

well heres a small update, i have just been doing what i said, and that is collection parts, this is what i have got in recently...........

i got a killer deal on some brembo discs locally.

my supertech stuff for my k.
flat faced valves...

intake

type R final drive for more aggresive gearing :thumbup:

I decided to used my suspecion set up that i had on my old hatch, but every component in the front driver side was damaged, tein would not sell me that single drop spring by itself and neither would skunk 2 sell me the upper control arm by itself so i had to order new sets :mad:

Tokico did sell the front strut individually so i was good there :), it should be in tomorrow or the next day with a blackworks strut tower brace that i also ordered.

I only have 4 things on my parts list that i need to obtain, after that it all starts to come together, so im going to be getting my hands dirty in the up coming weeks, stay tuned..............................
dailyK20hatch
Stage 2 ClubEG6 Member
Stage 2 ClubEG6 Member

Postby 94CivicCx » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:35 am

:jawdrop:
94CivicCx
Stage 3 ClubEG6 Member
Stage 3 ClubEG6 Member

Car: 1994 Civic Cx

Postby dailyK20hatch » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:29 pm

Well work has been busy lately but i did start doing some things to the car. I removed the rear hatch glass and installed the one from my old hatch since it was in better condition. Bolted the gas lid back on. Wired the tailgate and reinstalled the license plate lights that i had removed for paint, the tailgate weather stripping is new.

this is before i switched out the glass.

The interior is very dusty from the paint shop, i have to clean it out and remove the dash since i have a better dash in my parts room. Before i reinstall the door panels im going to take them to a friend that does upholstery. I want to get black avis inserts on them. Black avis is the cloth recaro uses on the middle of their seats, the part that is not suede. It will match my seats perfectly. Look at the dust!

I have two sets of side skirts, one set painted the color of the car, the other painted trim black, havent decided which one to go with.

Even thought i just did these minor things it really amp'ed me up, i already cant wait to put this hatch together and im really looking foward to it.

As for parts update, my blackworks 3 point front strut tower bar came in.

Also received my skunk 2 mani, which i got on clearance from a dealer, and i know its going to take a trip and get powder coated to match my valve cover but this is how it looks now.

Better now then later.........................i got a new clutch kit

Also i had some ebay bucks so i used it on a honda antenna block off plate, lol

still waiting on that tokico strut to come in so i can do my suspension, i pre-ordered a blox traction bar, and i won a ebay auction for a eg6 wing that was all scratched up, i plan to take it to my painter and get it painted in trim black when it gets here.

Thats all for now.........................
dailyK20hatch
Stage 2 ClubEG6 Member
Stage 2 ClubEG6 Member

Return to 1992 Civic Hatchbacks